1996-04-24 - Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 95003bbf1ea2ee1f9510abc09c138e4437bfd1c90f594ce1f65ddb451546eea7
Message ID: <199604231954.PAA22836@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960422151102.19963B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-24 04:37:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:37:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:37:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Bruce Marshall writes:
>On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Mark Aldrich wrote:
>>  The term "virus" connotes a pathogenic quality in the mind of
>> many.  Unfortunately, this tendency continues in the use of the word
>> 'virus' within our community.
>
>    Personally, I can see many useful functions for viruses.  But I find the
>viruses that simply destroy data--which tends to be the majority--to be
>quite boring and childish.  A non-destructive and innovative virus is
>very interesting and comparable to any good software hack in my eyes.
>
>> While I understand that "intent" is something with which lawyers have to
>> contend when they defend or prosecute a case, I don't think that the
>> notion of intent to commit harm extrapolates correctly into the field of
>> virus writing.

O.W. Holmes suggested out in "The Common Law" that the law delineates a
certain minimum level of competence in forseeing the outcomes of our
actions which all members of society are expected to attain.  We'll
hold you responsible for actions a "reasonable person" should have
avoided because of their danger.  As such, persons with limited
training in manipulating biological viruses are expected to avoid doing
so.  Individuals *with* training are expected to take adequate
precautions to avoid their spread.  I see no reason why electronic
viruses shouldn't be treated similarly.  If you're going to write them,
you *better* take steps to prevent their release, or you are liable for
the damages.

Thread