1996-04-18 - Re: EFF/Bernstein Press Release

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Message Hash: 961e3a322b829a5d864ae8c07db66d557bebfcaa5783f0a8cd733e3510a7af68
Message ID: <199604181421.KAA08296@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9604180825.A31115-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-18 18:13:25 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 02:13:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 02:13:25 +0800
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: EFF/Bernstein Press Release

s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca writes:
> For that matter, is issuing unix and tcp/ip commands an act of speech
> even when cracking into someone else's computer?

Standing in front of a voice activated gun pointed at someone and
shouting "fire" is still an act of murder.

The issue is whether you have intent to kill, or break in, or
whatever, not whether or not you speak. Pulling on my index finger
isn't a crime either, unless there is a trigger in front of the
finger, and the trigger is attached to a gun aimed at someone, and I
know what I'm doing. Normally, however, pulling back on my index
finger is no crime at all.

This is why it can be a crime to conspire to commit murder even though
speech is protected.

.pm

Thread