1996-04-05 - Re: Why pay???

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 96b54326f325fd1191cda7776f5c6695a4ee8ddba8a7f79668505254c1ba369b
Message ID: <ad89c05a16021004e389@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:50:27 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:50:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why pay???

At 9:44 PM 4/4/96, kreidl@newrock.com wrote:

>>Thanks for your interest in Cypherpunks Lite.
>>
>>I provide a moderated version of the Cypherpunks list called
>>"Cypherpunks Lite".  A one year subscription costs US$20 and is

>Why would I pay if I can get it for free this way??????

You are of course free not to subscribe. A solution I think 98% of us would
subscribe to, so to speak.

Personally, I take the full Cypherpunks feed. Others may take Eric
Blossom's for-a-fee filtered list, still others may take the
variously-priced filtered lists by others.

As it should be.

(Goldwater and Heinlein got it slightly wrong when they said "There ain't
no such as a free lunch." While true in many ways, TANSTAAFL ignorest the
great willingness of people to donate time, effort, articles, etc. In fact,
I've put many thousands of hours into the Cypherpunks list, for which I've
received not a single centime of compensation. And I have no problem with
this, provided it remains voluntary.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!