1996-04-30 - Re: NOISE - AARMs (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Dave Emery” <die@pig.die.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a73d0566905c4193c51f82bf41096a70f41b6bc3aef16b3f97b290556db7406a
Message ID: <9604300117.AA25708@pig.die.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:40:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "Dave Emery" <die@pig.die.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:40:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NOISE - AARMs (fwd)

>	David Lesher writes:

> But there has been an easy defense against such for decades.
>
> You run ordinary phone wire from the transmitter + antenna X meters
> back to the bunker or whatever. Then you talk from there.

	Another division of a company I did some consulting work for
makes a box that goes between the transmitter and control head of a
current generation tactical UHF satellite terminal  (LST-5 TACSAT) of
the type used by US military commanders in the field.  It connects the
control and talking part of the radio with the transmitter and antenna
via up to a mile of optical fiber cable with no metal conductors.  As
you can imagine, it is hard to use RF sniffing techniques to find the
command post at the other end of the fiber.

						Dave Emery
						die@die.com

Thread