1996-04-13 - Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

Header Data

From: Dan Marner <dmarner@mis.nu.edu>
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Message Hash: aab80eb9f065953adfd52c7265d44b81543bfe67bb7d96ba346778f4e419a2e7
Message ID: <199604091820.SAA24783@mis.nu.edu>
Reply To: <8lOUXbq00YUvBYs3cV@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-13 19:45:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:45:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Dan Marner <dmarner@mis.nu.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:45:57 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

There are more details about Livingston's Exon Box (they call it
ChoiceNet) available at
http://www.livingston.com/Marketing/Press/choicenet_press.html .

My kneejerk reaction was to hate this thing too, but now I'm not so
sure. If I was responsible for the Internet connectivity for a K-12
school system, I would want this capability in a big way.

I see the Livingston product as an enabling technology. The obvious
associated risk is Big Brother deciding, "If one router CAN do it, then
every router MUST do it!" The idea of having a Naughty_Enabled Bit in
IPv6 is, of course, even worse; but I'm glad it isn't my job to
exlpain why it is horrid to a Federal judge.

Dan

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 02:51:19 -0400 (EDT)  "Declan B. McCullagh" wrote:

[ SNIP ]
>  Enforcing the CDA Improperly May Pervert Internet Architecture
>
>   by David P. Reed
[ SNIP ]

--
Dan Marner                             dmarner@mis.nu.edu