1996-04-06 - Re: Blue Water spooks

Header Data

From: nyap@mailhub.garban.com (Noel Yap)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ad476ec41a057de0d7e096277ecad4fb1d2e27165407dcffcbe8138a8939c856
Message ID: <9604051742.AA04477@mailhub.garban.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 09:57:07 +0800

Raw message

From: nyap@mailhub.garban.com (Noel Yap)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 09:57:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Blue Water spooks

> 	Have the Chinese turned their thought towards cryptography,
> 	or cryptanalysis yet?   If so, I suspect the answer is
> 	yes,  If not, then the answer is a definate No.
>
> 	The Chinese Intelligence Service traditionally has
> 	not looked outward, preferring to ply its trade domestically.
> 	That said, the earliest extant text on espionage is Chinese.

In addition, (if I remember correctly from _The Puzzle Palace_), a person who was heavily initially involved in the formation of NSA also helped establishing the Chinese Intelligence Service.  Also from the same book, in the US has set up, with Chinese approval, a sigint shop within China.  This was done to sigint the Russians.  With the tensions between the US and China now, I'm not sure whether they closed shop or not.

Thread