1996-04-27 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Message Hash: b4d2ca8adee8d7745d7a819f75073c6b1e7a024a1c8efc62c653f88aa568afd5
Message ID: <199604270123.VAA01708@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <199604270053.UAA22329@universe.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-27 07:17:45 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:17:45 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:17:45 +0800
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

Scott Brickner writes:
> True.  It's still lacking a couple of (non-language) features.  The
> most important (and most cpunks relevant) is a mechanism to pay people
> to run programs for you.  This sort of thing is dangerous without a
> safe environment.

You can do that safely without making it dangerous for your machine. I
know how I would build a restricted execution environment for such
markets. However, Java is 1) too slow, since if you are selling
rendering cycles or such you don't want to be running an interpreter,
2) insufficently safe, and 3) paradoxically, insufficiently powerful
for the sort of code you would want to run in such an environment.

Perry

Thread