1996-04-11 - Re: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records

Header Data

From: Michael Froomkin <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Message Hash: b7c72c38414d1790794a33e9a8387959aa31f18ead262b20d48560dbf5d4d9a3
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960411101452.21542C-100000@viper.law.miami.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960410124929.11278D-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-11 20:18:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:18:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Froomkin <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:18:54 +0800
To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Subject: Re: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Steve Reid wrote:

> > I thought that most or all of the cypherpunk anonymous remailers don't
> > keep records.  Not even on backup tapes.  The whole idea is that there
> > aren't logs.  But maybe they have found some remailers that are
>
> When a person recieves a message from someone using an anonymous
> remailer, the return address will usually work, depending on the
> remailer. The return address is for an address on the remailer, and

The above is very confusing and stems, IMHO, from imprecise use of terms.
It is important to distinguish between 4 types of remailers:

* traceable pseudonymous
* untraceable pseudonymous
* traceable anonymous
* untraceable anonymous

The text quoted above is true if it describes a "traceable pseudonymous"
remailer, e.g.  anon.penet.fi.  This is different from, say, a cypherpunks
style remailer.

For a full, perhaps tedious, explication of all this and other stuff too, see

http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/ocean1-7.htm

an earlier, much shorter, and slightly dated, treatement of the anonymity
issues only can be found at http://www.law.cornell.edu/jol/froomkin.htm

[...]

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law |
U. Miami School of Law     | froomkin@law.miami.edu
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | It's warmish here.

Thread