1996-04-05 - Re: Navajo code-talkers

Header Data

From: Asgaard <asgaard@sos.sll.se>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d9869d52f93206c7a636508a4ec83bb3ec72e74a0c3d5f0da510a612be9be6cd
Message ID: <Pine.HPP.3.91.960405034921.29585A-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
Reply To: <9604041824.AA1177@smtp1.chipcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-05 08:44:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:44:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Asgaard <asgaard@sos.sll.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:44:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Navajo code-talkers

> English words).  Furthermore the language is several centuries older
> than Homer, so you have to deal with assorted archaisms.  Then again,
> if you know even a little of ancient greek linguistics, it gets easier.

There has been this talk of the Navajos for a couple of weeks.
I know they are an interesting people (oh, how beautiful was Ninibah
Miriam Crawford, the beautiful representative of the Navajo Nation
at the UN Environmental Conference in Stockholm 1972), but what about
the Hopis? At the same conference I met David Monangaye, then the
spiritual leader of the Hopi Nation (now dead), and Thomas Banyacya,
now their spokesperson (and Thomas' daughter Loreena, oh, a true
keeper of the earth).

The Hopi word for Navajo is TASAVUH; literally "He who pounds his
enemy's head with a rock", and for the communal and peace-loving
Hopis the Navajos are an aggressive and ornery people who have
been a headache ever since they invaded Black Mesa, shortly after
the palefaces first appeared on the Hopis' sacred land.

How funny that these head-pounders found a niche in the Pantheon
of American Heroes. But no wonder they are the only Native American
Nation to have more territory now than 100 years ago.

Asgaard

Thread