1996-04-13 - Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

Header Data

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e315f6adf5798dfdb0ad4939767965c2839f1f1095fc6bd67b9e0dc768137465
Message ID: <v03005b03ad94a136129f@[206.126.100.99]>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:45:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:45:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

Scott Brickner wrote:
>Somebody who might be Marshall Clow wrote:
>>Multiple IP #s, multiple machines, multiple users, ONE account.
>>Which router will insert the "suggested" flag, and how will it decide which
>>packets to tag?
>
>The way I envision it (in my nightmares), you'd have two options:  have
>the account configured as "kid safe", and live in a cyberspace playground,
>or have it configured as "adult", and accept responsibility for your kids'
>use.

I have no problem whatsoever with this.
Guess which option I'd choose :-)

However, given the hysteria that is surrounding the CDA, etc., I think that
the second option would be "politically unacceptable". The whole thrust [
sorry for the sexual imagery ;-) ] behind [ oops, now it's sodomy ] the CDA
is that it's not good enough for parents to take responsibility for their
children's use; the government must be involved.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:mclow@mailhost2.csusm.edu>

"Eternal vigilance is the price of PostScript"
-- MacUser Jan 96 DTP and Graphics column

Thread