1996-04-12 - Re: Know Your Net.Enemies Project

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: “Declan B. McCullagh” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e355af643a4dee7352ff7133bfa7e10e25c1e037320e9053b62d35d5000570d7
Message ID: <ad928bf30d021004097c@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 01:25:08 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 01:25:08 +0800
To: "Declan B. McCullagh" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Know Your Net.Enemies Project

At 3:47 AM 4/11/96, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
>Would anyone be interested in collaborating on a "Know Your Net Enemies"
>project?
>
>We'd start with a resource like Bob Chatelle's excellent web pages at
><http://world.std.com/~kip/bcfenatl.html> and with permission build on
>it and list the deceptions and misrepresentations each Net-Enemy has
>engaged in -- what each has done to restrict liberty online. We'd
>include original documents and links as appropriate.
..

Sort of like Nixon's Enemies List?

Have we become the enemy?

Flippancy aside, this strikes me as being a terribly negative, destructive,
and counterproductive way of approaching things. It could easily backfire
in the media, as they note the "Enemies List," or "The Page of Shame."

Recall how the recent "List of Shame" was reacted to, as some people
clamored to be added.

And just how would "Net-Enemies" be decided upon? By vote? By acclamation?
By whomever wants to create an entry? Would Denning (Dorothy) be on the
list, but not Denning (Peter)? How about Barlow? Maybe the whole EFF power
structure at the time of the Wiretap Act should be added to the Net-Enemies
list...I'll start working on this right away.

Well, count me out. I know who I think are the people receptive to my
concerns and viewpoints, and the people not receptive...and I don't need an
Enemies List to tell me. I'd prefer to evaluate people I haven't yet
reached a decision on based on their own merits.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!