1996-04-03 - Re: Elementrix Technology Announces Power Quantum Cryptography

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: sales@elementrix.co.il
Message Hash: edb9a9bfa0c6cb996dc723ad11110f3c5d813bdec25fd1423aec85f84de1f807
Message ID: <199604030716.XAA14560@dfw-ix7.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:43:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 20:43:23 +0800
To: sales@elementrix.co.il
Subject: Re: Elementrix Technology Announces Power Quantum Cryptography

At 11:58 AM 4/1/96 -0800, sales@elementrix.co.il wrote:
>By using a novel method (covered by trade secret law and now patent-pending
>in 26 countries) our server software transmits packets onto your local
>network without reading them, thus preserving their unique quantum
>properties.  Any attempt to read the packet, except by the intended
>recipient will destroy the quantum waveform of the packet.  Our
>sophisticated error-recovery system will detect this and re-initialize
>with a predefined Emergency Quantum State, which has all the same
>characteristics as the Normal Quantum State, but has not been compromised
>by the attempted eavesdropper.

Unfortunately, the method can be cracked easily.  Because the system
uses two patented states, a Normal Quantum State and an Emergency Quantum State,
and it's patent-pending in 26 different countries, you can divide the
26 patent-pending states by the two patented states giving a pending 13.
By rotating the 13 twice, of course, the original text can be recovered.

However, the method is partially useful, using a lemma by Dr. Denning.
While 26 is divisible by 2, it's not divisible by 3, so the addition of
a third state renders it effective again.  Denning's paper recommends
use of a National Security State as the additional state, which provides
effective protection, additional security and supports the legitimate needs
of law enforcement.  So if you want your crypto to be secure, it's an offer
you can't refuse...

Another approach has been suggested by the Syndicate for Quantum Deconstruction,
in their prescient 1998 paper "Smash the State".  By deconstructing the
quantum packet on arrival, an imbalance is created which can only be resolved
by constructing the packet an equal time period before the origination
of the packet in the Normal Quantum State.  In addition to preventing the
emergence of the Emergency Quantum State, it allows, and in fact requires,
the packet to be present and read some time before its original transmission
time.
Copies of the paper are currently circulating only as preprints; the
original will be posted on
http://www.timenet.net/1998/Physics/~SQuD/Deconstruct.vrml
as soon as it becomes available.
#--