1996-04-28 - connecting Uni to the Web O Trust

Header Data

From: bryce@digicash.com
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: f19592a9485cfa823f2785ce1d5f475c2bf1e62f116a0484424627cef6b41be3
Message ID: <199604281556.RAA11900@digicash.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.93.960425030044.3252P-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-28 21:26:58 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 05:26:58 +0800

Raw message

From: bryce@digicash.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 05:26:58 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: connecting Uni to the Web O Trust

Ya gotta get yourself connected, as the Stereo MC's said.

Unfortunately I can't see anyway to gain trust in this
pseudonym since I don't believe that the ostensible owner,
name of "Black Unicorn", understands about how to establish
a strong pseudonym in the Web O Trust.

I mean, I could explain it to him, but not even counting the
difficulties of communicating such complex concepts among
humans, there is the fact that if Mitch is here, he can
prevent the real Uni from seeing the explanation, and he can
act in Black Uni's place as if he understands.  Then he can
go through the necessary steps to increase our trust in his
pubkey, as if Uni were going through them.

There would be only one problem for Mitch:  there would be
some knowledge shared by the facade Uni and the rest of us
that was not shared by the real Uni and the rest of us.
Forever into the future whenever this knowledge came up in
conversation Mitch would have to break automated-active-attack
mode and go into acting mode to prevent us from realizing
that we remembered history differently.

Wouldn't be cool if we could somehow make much of our
conversation depend on that shared memory in some
non-automatible way?  Then we could just recurse, making
more and more of the conversation depend on previous
conversation in a non-automatible way.  Eventually all of
our conversation would have to be acted by a human MITM
instead of just falsely digitally authenticated by an
automated MITM...

more later,

Bryce

P.S.

- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2i

hQEMAy1onm9OaF05AQf8D+nK6n4pobVlbL04r/un3dwxbOlCW/C5Iu8a//Wiu49B
+ExkmlqK04cJbyF17N5F+j628RncYTyohUXvYPC0UtQPWWV3bj2euxFyzr8d40Cn
W0mKGI4/6W29RYXwEn/3g+g+2sJt/HCIG1/RnhbcOCubJIQRYIY/7srmuiahLVob
a1bKxd5Zp1JRHHmEPvFrpzz/TuiUKf4JGczcrhMYlt3q1fFsB4cW2inA9ymHdHZS
OPiO+9au67fsv0YlF8qGoqEgeKuyX/pZUs1knntH7IFkjCziD0EeaTg+wvs5veJY
fpJdTcCES0tuqFD+4WM1CV0Ad8mPLOGDsxF2vBMOuaYAAADVYpDriBhb5KIQJsTG
M9957b/XTA7T2mq+sPsYd8ivoVgQqgiVYcJzpd0K5oqJTlsNpKzN23R2cfS4EGqV
Xg3KNZqMSpA+u7Lx5OgZaeG0qaSpAtPxX7z6IZQL71YGjaoqNBaZHpuPdRIiic2g
jfaX3DBBndue1801fQsahyqUqw2H/AeEVC7aJVlN9L/h7f85EIeIrLFPkl09uM9s
XqalftyF90SAvynSVv+zVoAhvSETtTwecryM9sbpqQiDnYYw3zDsCK/cTOAcjtYo
c68y2eyNPG8p
=5LFk
- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

EALLENSMITH could have been included in the encryption but
I couldn't find a PGP key for him.

Replied: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 17:43:29 +0200
Replied: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Replied: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Replied: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 03:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
cc: bryce@digicash.com, cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: arbiter/escrow agent for hire

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

> From:	IN%"bryce@digicash.com" 24-APR-1996 10:05:20.14
>
> >1. Acceptable digital signature upon the "bet statement"
> >from each bettor.  (Note that PGP signatures from PGP key
> >pairs which are not connected to me via the Web of Trust, or
> >which are not verifiable by me via an out-of-band
> >connection, are not acceptable digital signatures.  This is
> >because of the MITM attack problem, not because  I need True
> >Names to be connected to the signatures.)
>
> 	IIRC, currently Black Unicorn doesn't have any signatures on
> his public key of others. Therefore, this requirement, while understandable,
> could cause a bit of a difficulty in the current situation.

Please obtain a copy of my current key by finger.

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread