1996-04-11 - Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailerrecords?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: Jim Byrd <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f1d1051c48c72e974210e1666118d7dd1ad5bad621a3117b4ca1b7afd4d9650b
Message ID: <ad91b30d0902100413eb@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:54:41 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:54:41 +0800
To: Jim Byrd <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena	  anonymous remailerrecords?

At 7:37 PM 4/10/96, Jim Byrd wrote:

>The story is weirder than that.  The first poster of church secrets (with
>lots of commentary) was Dennis Erlich, an ex-scientologist.  Dennis was
>raided and sued, and is awaiting trial.  His ISP, Tom Klemesrud, refused

His ISP was Netcom. Klemesrud respresents Netcom.

>to find the identity of -AB-.  This turned out to be an alumni account at
>Cal Tech.  The poster has never been heard from again.

This was without a doubt just a user of one of Hal Finney's remailers he
runs out of an account at Caltech. (There's a tiny chance it was someone
else, but it fits the description of Hal's "alumni" remailer exactly, and
is almost certainly just that.)

This is a Cypherpunk-style remailer, and Hal is one of the original Cypherpunks.

The concept of "The poster has never been heard from again" is essentially
meaningless, unless he or she or signed the message and established a
persistent personna.

Sorry to sound picky, but I've just seen several messages all of which copy
a long dialog from some Finnish guy named Kaj. Some of the messages then
confuse the issues by confusing the types of remailers.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!