1996-04-15 - Re: Watch your language, Shabbir.

Header Data

From: JonWienke@aol.com
To: jimbell@pacifier.com
Message Hash: fd1e02aabbcbbc9ebc2abd0b73c7ba4f2defbaf4457c7c5fa9ab6446c9728d83
Message ID: <960414214548469881389@mail02.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-04-15 07:05:29 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:05:29 +0800

Raw message

From: JonWienke@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:05:29 +0800
To: jimbell@pacifier.com
Subject: Re: Watch your language, Shabbir.

>I see no legal reason why wiretaps should have the "features" listed above.

>There is a certain practical reason they can:  Due to the nature of
>wiretapping, it is not physically necessary to show up to do the tap, or
>tell those targeted, or tell them after the tap has been disconnected.
>However, it seems very unlikely that the mere fact that an invention allows
>a kind of search that was possible before, should automatically change the
>interpretation of the Constitution to allow that search.
>
>If a new invention allowed the cops to walk through walls untraceably, would

>that automatically mean that the normal protections that search warrants are

>supposed to provide are no longer valid?  I don't think so!

Mandating that phone companies allow wiretaps is analogous to mandating that
all houses be constructed of Plexiglas, with the shades on the outside, so
the gov't can look in at their leisure.

Thread