1996-05-21 - Re: Is Chaum’s System Traceable or Untraceable?

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Ian Goldberg <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0a483a46d71efd2ffda6d82f474ef069b7e594e147a4b9e1e12fa7f88d7f91b8
Message ID: <199605201902.MAA16278@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:48:27 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 15:48:27 +0800
To: Ian Goldberg <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Is Chaum's System Traceable or Untraceable?

At  9:10 AM 5/20/96 -0700, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>However, if you use the "fully anonymous" protocol, change becomes trivial.
>You don't have to go online; the payer (the shop) does, which it assumedly
>already is.  Another benefit is that coins received in this way as change
>are immediately spendable by you, without having to go online in between.

Perhaps I am confused, but I see no need for change in the fully anonymous
protocol.  I see the fully anonymous protocol as:

(1) The payee generates a coin for the amount of purchase, blinds it and
gives it to the payer.
(2) The payer blinds it again and gives it to the bank, which signs it
debiting the payer's account.
(3) The payer removes his blinding and gives the signed coin to the payee.
(4) The payee removes his blinding and deposits the coin.

Step 1 could be called a request for payment (an invoice), step 2 a
withdrawal, step 3 the payment, and step 4 a deposit.

Is there another version which allows the payee to have an unconnected
wallet of coins and get change in return?

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread