1996-05-23 - Re: An alternative to remailer shutdowns

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0ad4703bd8f99b8122283ea3f93f72a9bf5ff85d185feb43667d88c9e34554cc
Message ID: <199605231809.LAA00519@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 07:50:49 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 07:50:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: An alternative to remailer shutdowns

At 09:02 PM 5/22/96 -0700, Martin Minow wrote:
>Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> comments on the responsiblity
>of prudent persons (in, I presume, the context of threating e-mail
>sent through an anonymous remailier).
>
>I'm still perplexed: what can a "prudent" remailer operator do if a
>threatening e-mail was sent through a remailer under one or more of
>the following conditions:
>
>-- The remailer operator is legally enjoined from reading messages
>   transversing his system. (For example, the remailer is subject to
>   data privacy laws.)
>
>-- The message was encrypted using the intended recipient's public key.
>   (This means that, without access to the private key, the operator
>   has no mechanism to examine the e-mail.)

That's just it, the government wants (or, will want) "the prudent operator"
to SHUT DOWN his system entirely. We, on the other hand, should take the
position that operating a remailer is a right, and further that such
remailers get a broad immunity for materials send through their system.

Providing for the opposite  was one of the reasons the Leahy bill on
encryption was so bad.  It criminalized use of encryption to "thwart a
law-enforcement investigation" and there was no way for a (encrypted)
remailer operator to know that any given message flowing through his system
might eventually trigger such an investigation.  In fact, the prospect of
the government actually setting up such an operator by having his remailer
act as the last link in the chain of an otherwise-untraceable message, whose
transmission could arguably be a violation of law.
Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread