1996-05-16 - RE: Why does the state still stand:

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Black Unicorn <blancw@accessone.com>
Message Hash: 1003286891baf4488358decd7a9d264f1fc43429137401110666d67b7dff1382
Message ID: <199605152154.OAA24839@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:24:30 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:24:30 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <blancw@accessone.com>
Subject: RE: Why does the state still stand:

At  1:04 PM 5/15/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>On Tue, 14 May 1996, blanc wrote:
>
>> From:         Hal [on the idea of companies operating fully anonymously]
>>
>> It might be interesting to make a list of all the problems people can
>> think of why this idea won't work, paired with proposed solutions and
>> workarounds - sort of a mini FAQ for this important (some might say
>> ultimate) cypherpunk model.
>>
>> I think this is a much needed discussion  - in particular as it comes at a
>>time when Uni is is "somewhat disconcerted" at the defeatist attitude of some
>>cypherpunks and since TCMay is getting ready to read us the Cypherpunks Bill
>>of Rights regarding the subsidizatoin of other's people's cyber existence
>>(heh).
>>
>> 3 problems which immediately come to mind:
>>
>> .  What if someone, hired on one occasion but fired at another, decides
>in anger to "turn coat" and report everyone to the IRS (or other fine
>government agency)?
>
>The entire organization would clearly have to be double blinded.  If this
>can be done for mailing lists (which I believe it can) it can be done for
>corporations too.  The real trick is getting the costs of anonymous (and I
>mean secure anonymous) communications low enough.

If all you need to do is beat the cost of commuting 20 miles/day, no problem.

>> .  What if a company does not pay as expected - other than adopting
>> Assassination Politics, what method could an employee use towards
>> getting their expected remuneration for work done?
>
>If payment is made weekly, it should be made in advance to an escrow agent
>who would issue a certificate that the payment for employee r2dd54 has
>been received.  The payment would then not be released to anyone without
>the consent of the corporation and the employee.
>
>Obviously the escrow agent would have to be trusted.

>Even if a payment gets hung up in a dispute, it's only for a week.

You could require daily payment and forgo the escrow agent.  (Assuming you
are willing to risk a day's pay as an experiment in reputation.)  Note that
AP won't work if everyone is anonymous because you won't have a target.

What may be a problem for such a company is a social problem.  All the
creative groups I have worked with have had close personal relations.
(Although they have not had wide agreement on significant non-work
subjects!)  I don't know if good, creative, group-produced products can be
built without such a relationship.  Does anyone know of an example of such
a product from an "anonymous" environment?

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread