1996-05-31 - Re: Internet traffic is monitored. [NOISE][BOGUS]

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1c0d9c30007bacbbb56c92b6c65589117e32d0026bacc194c5e37339e4536b7c
Message ID: <199605302044.NAA24061@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 11:39:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 11:39:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internet traffic is monitored. [NOISE][BOGUS]

>> > Extrapolations of fact:
>> >    1.   Internet traffic is monitored.
>> Maybe.  But I doubt that the above story is true.

The story does have a high probability of being bogus,
but it has the slight ring of plausibility that makes it
good conspiracy-urban-legend material.
- The 3DES-encrypted stuff was allegedly posted to the MBONE,
  so many people _could_ have seen it, including Feds,
  without requiring any special Pervasive Monitoring Program.
- Single-DES encryption is commonly available, using tools like nevot and mmcc.
- Triple-DES encryption probably gets different headers, to tell
  the tools how to decrypt them, so you don't need cracking to know.

On the other hand, it'd be highly unlikely that the BATF would be involved.
Maybe Customs, maybe the FBI, possibly even the Secret Service if they
argue that it's computer crime.  But it's not the BATF's turf.

But then, the folks at Area 51 might _claim_ they're BATF.....

#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215
# goodtimes signature virus innoculation

Thread