1996-05-20 - Re: The Crisis with Remailers

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: frantz@netcom.com
Message Hash: 257677eddc92cc1d07a6601dbb7244406460619a566caa200574a5f20fa40c80
Message ID: <01I4WS2XKN788Y5FKU@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:31:35 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:31:35 +0800
To: frantz@netcom.com
Subject: Re: The Crisis with Remailers

From:	IN%"frantz@netcom.com" 17-MAY-1996 15:56:36.35

>Perhaps what is needed is a non-profit, charitable 501c foundation to
>encourage anonymous communication.  Those who support the idea could make
>tax deductible contributions which would be used for grants, public
>education etc. etc. to encourage anonymous communication.  It could be
>called, "The Federalist Foundation" because the Federalist Papers were
>published anonymously.

	Hmm... I wonder if it would be good for this Foundation to itself
operate some for-pay remailers, in order to make some money from sources
besides contributions? Possible disadvantages:
	A. It could get sued, and thus lose funds
	B. If its prices were set too low, it could wind up driving other
remailers out of the market (combination of low price with likelihood to still
be there), and thus become a vulnerable point.
	-Allen

Thread