1996-05-03 - Re: Sen. Patrick Leahy’s PGP key now avail.

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27060cf199f3f4d044529e4c597fa614d67b2d52014beca6fc63630118742bef
Message ID: <adaea4ac18021004fc68@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:18:42 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:18:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sen. Patrick Leahy's PGP key now avail.

At 9:36 PM 5/2/96, Will Rodger wrote:
>Wanna write the good Senator on the occasion of his newest bill? His pub
>key's out there. (URL is  http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pks-commands.html#submit/
>)

Why does anyone need his public key to communicate with Senator Leahy? If
it's for sender-anonymity, this does not do it, though other tools
(remailers) do.

Unless the information is "secret," why bother? It adds extra time at his
office's end (you don't think Leahy types in his password to PGP do you?),
and it accomplishes little.

>From a personal viewpoint, I'm glad my key is no longer very accessible. I
used to get PGP-encrypted messages which had no earthly reason to be
encrypted, except that people apparently wanted to practice their PGP
skills. (For those who sent me items that had a reason to be encrypted, you
know who you are and you know this comment does not apply to you.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!