1996-05-09 - Re: self-ratings

Header Data

From: rick hoselton <hoz@univel.telescan.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2a45f670427cfa9cba9380a5a374e16243cbaa09aeac26065dda2d8707fe354a
Message ID: <199605082327.QAA26350@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:10:50 +0800

Raw message

From: rick hoselton <hoz@univel.telescan.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:10:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: self-ratings

Timothy C. May writes:
>Should "voluntary self-criticism" become widespread, I expect to rate all
>of my posts as suitable for children of all ages, suitable for
>hypersensitive feminists, suitable for Jews and Gentiles alike, and so on.
>Regardless of whether I'm advocating post-birth abortions or forced
>encheferation of Muslim girls.

Not me.  If someone doesn't want to be offended, then I would rather they
never read anything from me, ever.  I share family, race, culture, and
backround with my father, and there have been times when I offended him
unintentionally.  One person liked me enough to marry me, but I occasionally
offended her, too.  Imagine how easily I might offend a stranger.  Better to
take no chances at all.  If somebody wants a rating system, then they should
just
consider everything I have to say as "X-rated" in EVERY category, just to be
safe.
And that's a policy that everyone on the net should follow.  If this self
rating
system becomes mandatory, I think the cypherpunks should cooperate fully, by
notifying ALL sites that are not self-X-rated if they can find ANYTHING that
ANYONE might EVER find offensive.  Better safe than sorry.  Nobody will be
prosecuted for saying they have an offensive site, even if they don't.  Imagine
a prosecutor trying to prove that NOBODY could POSSIBLY be offended by my
newsgroup postings!  But many people will be prosecuted for not identifying
their sites as offensive.

Now, if everyone follows my advice, the net may become very boring for those
who have their filters set on, but congress will NEVER make "being boring"
against the law.  If mandatory-self-rating ever becomes the law, cypherpunks
can definitely promote true justice by strictly interpreting it and supporting
it completely.

Thread