1996-05-22 - mixmaster nsa@omaha.com going down Jun 4th.

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <alex@proust.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2a95b067b79d28664098d51338d1a59a79baedc5b3a5361d849b4912871cb6c8
Message ID: <199605211959.OAA05920@proust.suba.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:23:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <alex@proust.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:23:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: mixmaster nsa@omaha.com going down Jun 4th.

I'm closing my mixmaster, nsa@omaha.com, on the 4th of June.

There wasn't an incident that triggered this, but Hal's post about the FBI
sort of spooked me, as have the lawsuits.  I don't have a lot of assets
myself, but I do have partners.  My lawyer tells me that there's no
reliable way to separate my personal net activities from those of the
company my parnters and I own, and that I could even be exposing my
parnters to personal liability.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the problem with running a
remailer is that it's an inherently altruistic enterprise.  That in itself
wouldn't be so bad, but the liability makes the extent of the altruism
open ended.  If I knew that the worst case scenario would be $1k or even a
$5k personal loss I could do it, but an open ended liability that's shared
by my partners is unacceptable.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.

--
Alex Strasheim, alex@proust.suba.com

Thread