1996-05-30 - forged addresses

Header Data

From: nobody@nowher.com (Nobody in particular)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 32f1a5a008196175d978ecb535c55add1aba694c0e3a490306052d0ea7d60517
Message ID: <199605292012.NAA01475@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:44:36 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@nowher.com (Nobody in particular)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:44:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: forged addresses

Hi, I'm not sure if there was ever a thread on this, but I was wondering if
anyone can determine your real email address, if you were to fake it to your
email client.

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, since this is a high traffic list, but
I was wondering if this would work.  To try it out, I setup my client to think
I was someone else, and sent myself an email.  I could only figure out what
ISP it came from.

What I would like to know is, can any of the experts on this list determine my
address from the header of this post??

again, if this is something that I shouldn't have done, just let me know, and
it won't happen again.

Thread