1996-05-23 - Re: Is Chaum’s System Traceable or Untraceable?

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: iang@cs.berkeley.edu
Message Hash: 362cad636246ecbf12d6d15157b9e0f8bfb71623392f6d0919035495aab304ae
Message ID: <01I50K5LNPQG8Y4X9G@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 13:38:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 13:38:57 +0800
To: iang@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Is Chaum's System Traceable or Untraceable?

From:	IN%"iang@cs.berkeley.edu" 22-MAY-1996 14:51:29.42

>In the "normal" protocol, the payee has to go online.  In the "anon" protocol,
>the payer has to go online.  Since you don't want to go online when you
>walk into a shop, you can pay the shop with the "normal" protocol, and
>the shop gives you change with the "anon" protocol.

>That way, you never need to go online, and your identity is never compromised.

	However, the shop's still is, although the bank might not be able to
determine as much about how much income is coming in. OTOH, we're talking about
a physical shop situation; I'm not sure how critical it is to have shop
anonymnity with payor cooperation for this, since the payor can break it
anyway.
	-Allen

Thread