1996-05-12 - Re: Again: [hrdware] anti-Tempest video settings

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 39c5f41002d440b04a5b78d7faa6bb1c37cab025c8be384ae64eccb62aae593e
Message ID: <199605120337.UAA32475@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 17:23:01 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 17:23:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Again: [hrdware] anti-Tempest video settings

At 08:02 PM 5/11/96 +0000, Jean-Francois Avon wrote:

>Or, to the contrary, is it reasonable to assume that modern Tempest
equipment can
>work around theses impediments almost all of the time, therefore
>making any attempts at this futile?

It's probably worth investigating. Chances are good that as long as the
total beam current remains as constant as possible, the signal will be much
harder to interpret.  One way to investigate this comparatively easily is to
measure the total power consumption of a monitor when the screen is filled
with different colors at different saturations, etc.  Supply the AC to the
monitor through a 1-ohm resistor, measure the AC voltage across the resistor
to 1 mv accuracy or better, and you have a pretty good way to distinguish
different beam currents.

 I'm waiting for cheap flat-panel displays for desktop computers to arrive,
because they will probably be almost impossible to detect usably by Tempest
systems.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread