1996-05-21 - Re: encrypted open books (Was why does the state still stand)

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Message Hash: 3a84aa8d5a4fec7867d6cbef9f0bef433be67d054467db58d09aec7e23c05d6e
Message ID: <199605202207.PAA05112@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:50:14 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:50:14 +0800
To: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: encrypted open books (Was why does the state still stand)

At 01:30 PM 5/20/96 -0700, Wei Dai wrote:
> There is indeed a short section in the Cyphernomicon about encrypted open
> books.  Unfortunately it doesn't describe it in detail,

An organization, such as a bank, issues signed, non anonymous promises to
pay to various nyms -- in other words bank accounts, or interest
bearing bonds, or some such.

A nym would like to know what the total amount of such signed obligation is,
so that he can be sure it is less than the total value of the institutions
good name and readily findable and confiscatable assets.

But we do not want a bunch of outsiders getting a list of lots of private
information about who owns what, (such as auditors who are usually in the
pockets of the tax collectors).   The institution needs to be able
to prove that it only owes total amount X in this form, without letting
Tom, Dick, and Harry know who it owes amount X to, and why.

To do this it organizes its accounts in a binary tree, and constructs a one
way checksum tree checksum, revealing to each custom the part of the tree he
is on, all the way up to the root, which must be the same for all customers,
and must be placed in some public place, so that any customer can tell that
his account is included in the total openly admitted obligations of the
institution, and any customer can, by revealing secret information, prove
that he is one of the people that the institution has publicly admitted
owing money to.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com