1996-05-25 - Re: Children’s Privacy Act

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Message Hash: 3aa147ded9dc4edb666bdb8d464ea5d98bec87e7346193f285ddf94e70210068
Message ID: <01I53Q0L7J6A8Y4ZAY@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 15:50:01 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 15:50:01 +0800
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Subject: Re: Children's Privacy Act

From:	IN%"declan+@CMU.EDU"  "Declan B. McCullagh" 24-MAY-1996 23:16:49.32

>From a strict libertarian standpoint, it may implicate property rights.
>I won't argue that.

>But I tend to think of my (and individual) privacy rights as ones that
>should receive greater attention than a businesses "privacy rights." If
>they have mailing list info on me, I'd like to know where they got it.

	Well, it's either from someone you chose to hand it over to... or
from someone you didn't. In the first case, it's your problem. In the second
case, then you've got a claim. We have no disagreement on that governments and
other coercive institutions shouldn't be allowed to collect more information
than necessary, or to release any such information to an uninvolved third
party. As Hal pointed out, we also have no disagreement with trying to reduce
the level of information that you give out by accident or for the sake of
convenience - e.g., credit cards.
	-Allen

Thread