1996-05-10 - re: Dempster-Shafer…(re: Transitive

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3b32b8f850b3b4ebab50a145d4e18273a713d8683248758955ee27fff78b6103
Message ID: <adb76a4b01021004849b@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 15:19:57 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 15:19:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: Dempster-Shafer...(re: Transitive

At 5:18 AM 5/9/96, watson@tds.com wrote:
>tcmay's approach is elegant, and it's refreshing to find a practical use
>for AI approaches.  I think it needs one more step, though.  If we learn
>to quantify our trust in a key, we still need to know what the threshold
>should be for a given application.  Maybe I can get by with a 0.05 Bel
>for posting to cypherpunks, but maybe I want a 0.95 for a monetary
>transaction.  Seems to need a comprehensive risk management approach,

[was the rest accidentally cut off?]

Anyway, I agree that a more comprehensive system is needed. But even
attaching belief estimates to keys, for example, goes a long way in letting
others than do some transitive calculations.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!