1996-05-26 - Re: Children’s Privacy Act

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 3f5f85221995ba2b09b24d77378beb39f0934544c183e3d3e37cd61e583a5656
Message ID: <199605260449.VAA29497@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:35:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:35:33 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Children's Privacy Act

On 25 May 1996 08:37:24 pdt, bruce@aracnet.com wrote:

>At 11:34 PM 5/24/96 -0700, tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) wrote:
>
>>If I have compiled records, dossiers, etc., as I most assuredly have (got
>>to fill up those MO disks with something), this is "my" information. Mine
>>in the sense that others can't dictate to me what I do with it.
>
>I don't see that this is necessarily true for information any more than it
>is property. Property can be bought, sold, traded, given away, made...but it
>can also be stolen. Just as I have a right to complain if you walk off with
>my couch without my permission, so if you walk off with data on my blood
>chemistry or credit history without my permission.

Yes. For instance, a photographer should get a release for a photo of a person,
particularly if he plans to resell it. It does make me wonder whether you could file a suit
against TRW for selling information about you, particularly since it could affect you
adversely and there is no guaruntee it is accurate.
/* From Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> on a Warped PC running a proudly unregistered (for now) PMMAIL 1.5!
The Enigman Group - We do Web Pages! */

This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.

Thread