1996-05-24 - Re: CLI_pr3

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 446b21341a41222c7f6ca895596e080e8d1bb5c08926f27e4920408f17383e93
Message ID: <199605232145.VAA08342@pipe2.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:57:23 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:57:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CLI_pr3

On May 23, 1996 10:41:13, 'tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)' wrote:

>Of course, this appears to be implying that _domestic_ data will be
subject
>to Clipper 3  restrictions, else this statement is meaningless.
>
>So, will my stored-value cards that I "charge up" in California and carry
>in my wallet to Zurich be GAKked? If not, Morris's statement is
>meaningless. If so, domestic data is intended to be GAKked.
>
>(But we knew this, didn't we?)

   Several news reports in the last few days seem to be aiming
   at raising the alarm about crypto, perhaps in response to
   the various crypto bills, administration reformulations,
   and studies such as that headed by Herb Lin.

   The recycling of the news of DoD break-ins supposedly due
   to heavy military reliance on the Internet; the drumbeat of
   conferences, press releases and planted stories on
   international money laundering, the hazards of E-money to
   the stability of the banking system, spreading "Russian"
   criminality, and the role of high-technology in each; global
   Chinese arms dealers and copyright pirates; thousands of
   Japanese spies needed to combat "Asian" threats.

   These scares might well be orchestrated in support of
   Clipper 3 -- to the mutual benefit of international
   governments and commerce as stated by the IWGCP report.

   The Clipper 3 report, as John Gilmore and others have
   noted, aims at an international clampdown on non-GAKed
   crypto. For this to work, all the major crypto players must
   agree to act at the same time so that no one gets an
   advantage by offering non-GAKed products.

   But is it not probable that there will be a holdout
   nation(s), like the Swiss in war and bank secrecy, to offer
   crypto that is non-GAKed? Or will a holdout be starved?

   Or is it more likely that the genuine alternative to
   multilateral governmental regulation is going to be small-
   scale, non-corporate, private parties, insusceptible to
   large-sacle governmental-market coercion, willing to offer
   risky, covert services, perhaps as lucrative as prohibited
   armaments?

   In such a case, for example, would not a highly skilled
   cryptographer, let us call her Mathilda Blaze, be able to
   sell covert crypto (on the side, encrypted transactions,
   anonymity assured) for far greater reward than a not-very-
   secure pittance and pension at a downsizing ATT, or NSA, or
   Russia, China, Israel, France, UK, NL, JP ... ?

   To be sure, if we knew what they knew, we would understand
   why the House has just increased the intelligence budget to
   $30bn, $2bn more than 1996 (WaPo 5-23-96).

   Maybe all the major crypto nations (gov-and-com), are
   minting E-money to pay their best techies to protect their
   secrets. If so, may the best algorithmist take 'em all to
   the cleaners -- just remember to share with the hackers
   spooking the spooks-and-crooks of gov-com intel-insec,
   and causing "Yo, man's" of recognition and admiration of
   those peering for pennies at ELINT and NetSec screens.

Thread