1996-05-05 - Re: PICS & CyberAngels

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Message Hash: 4a40b16320546fda3df4863ed0889c284bee5ae8aa3ac7e75a128778d65a54fa
Message ID: <01I4BI00JHYU8Y53GG@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 12:06:14 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 12:06:14 +0800
To: declan+@CMU.EDU
Subject: Re: PICS & CyberAngels

From:	IN%"declan+@CMU.EDU"  "Declan B. McCullagh"  4-MAY-1996 12:28:04.26

>Indeed. Under SafeSurf, I've rated the fight-censorship mailing list
>archive site as suitable for all ages, which I believe it is, though the
>CyberAngels think otherwise. I wonder what will happen now? SafeSurf is
>supposedly sending me "an end-user license agreement" to sign...

	I believe this is another case, like that of the SafeSurf dislike of
the mention of illegal drugs in any but the standard PDFA (sp?) manner, in
which the Guardian Angels' politics are coming through. They may claim to be
anti-CDA, but given their harrassment of various sexually-oriented businesses
("cleaning up Times Square" et al) their real opinions seem to be showing
through. They'd make themselves even more unpopular if they were honest about
it, of course. I have no doubt that, if the CDA is upheld (God forbid), they'll
be secretly reporting violations to the DOJ. They already appear to have a
policy of reporting allegedly "obscene" material.
	-Allen

P.S. Feel free, anyone, to forward this (and my other stuff on the CyberAngels)
to them. I'd like to see their defense, unless they're going to admit they
don't have any.

Thread