1996-05-25 - Re: Children’s Privacy Act

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 509409538f2e08208d96bc1723e86108bca4c6fc192a0a61498be610ec1568e1
Message ID: <adcbfd64070210049f20@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 18:18:00 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 18:18:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Children's Privacy Act

At 1:36 AM 5/25/96, Rich Graves wrote:

>I think forgiveness, within reason, tends to have a positive economic
>effect. I'm not the same person I was seven years ago, or even seven
>months. (Is it 7 years, btw? Or was it 12? It's arbitrary, in any case.)

But "forgiveness" is highly personal. That you set your personal statute of
limitations at X years does not mean others do.

>I have no objection to allowing someone to become, and remain, a
>productive member of society years after fucking up badly. Note there are
>no statutes of limitations and no forgive-and-forget mandates for the more
>heinous violent crimes.

You are of course free to act on your beliefs and forgive such persons.

I am of course free to remember what they did and not forgive them. Or,
more likely, not give them a job, not lend them money, not enter into
business dealings with them, etc.

(The likeliest main application of data havens are for such things. Things
like "rent deadbeats," credit data extending further back in time than the
"Fair Credit Reporting Act" chooses to allow, data bases of bad doctors and
lawyers, etc.)

Like most laws "banning discrimination," the Fair Credit Reporting Act is a
gross violation of freedoms.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!