1996-05-01 - Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: “Scruffies” vs. “Neats”)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 56c5cceaf106cf991c7566ce4e20a21828dec8a3aa57e12fee475d4c5040ba51
Message ID: <199604302018.QAA14545@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <adabb253070210048971@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-01 04:59:19 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:59:19 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:59:19 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

Timothy C. May writes:
> At 6:38 PM 4/30/96, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >Timothy C. May writes:
> >> SCRUFFIES AND NEATS IN SECURITY
> >>
> >> The "security neat" believes in applying rigor to security. Machines and
> >> languages should be "provably secure." (Better yet, machines should be
> >> "provably correct," a la Viper, and operating systems and languages should
> >> produce provably correct code.)
> >
> >Don't take this the wrong way, Tim, but you have totally
> >misinterpreted the position many of us who dislike Java take. You
> >completely mischaracterize our attitude.
>
> Perry, that essay was, as I said, sent out before it was finished.
[...]
> Now, while you may have _anticipated_ the point I was going to make in the
> completed essay, you cannot say I have "mischaracterized" anyone's attitude
> at this point!

I could only respond to the statments you made, not the ones you could
have made.

In any case, I'm not sure that there is such a thing either as a
"Security Scruffy" or a "Security Neat" in the argument about Java;
the breakdown in opinions occurs along very different lines.

Perry

Thread