1996-05-18 - Re: Why the Poor are Mostly Deserving of their Fate

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 6afa8f0cfc31d3da4089ef9ee5e28ab3621094cdb750ebbf9bc50b7a9387a8eb
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960518041937.11104A-100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <adc286c5080210044c33@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-18 14:02:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 22:02:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 22:02:06 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Why the Poor are Mostly Deserving of their Fate

It was understandable to be poor when all the world was poor.  It is
understandable to be poor in those nations today that make the
accumulation of wealth a crime for most people.  It is not understandable
to be poor (for long) in the US where one can reliably get out of poverty
simply by doing three simple things:

1) get a high school diploma
2) get married
3) get any job

Only about 2 tenths of 1% of those who satisfy those three requirements
incomes below the official poverty line.

Like most libertarians, I dislike the government.  I don't care what a
person's income is.  When I was self-supporting on an income of $200 a
month in 1979, I was below the poverty level for a single person myself.
I am not enamored of the rich or poor members of the dependendant classes
of course.

I try and keep in mind that 80-90% of the "take" in government
programs for the "poor" goes to unpoor government employees.

DCF

Thread