1996-05-31 - Re: NRC crypto policy report to be released Thursday

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6d1d1ef7722b4ef3089d732713f7fc6e2536e6d6c8f01dc8d4f919749d8007c0
Message ID: <199605301757.KAA20667@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:38:59 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:38:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NRC crypto policy report to be released Thursday

The San Jose Mercury News has the top business section article:

ON-LINE SECRECY WINS BACKING
Without it there could be havoc, panel says

Basically the report says the US will get more protection by using strong
crypto to secure its networks and systems than by keeping week crypto and
allowing LEAs to read comm.  The report describes GAK as "an untested,
unproven technology that should not be foisted on the public until it is
proven in extensive field use by the government."

A quote:

"We believe government policy should support the broad use of
cryptography." ... "We believe it presents problems for the legitimate
concerns of national security and law enforcement.  But we also point out
that strong cryptography is needed because of the proliferation of
computer-based crimes, that it would deal with national security issues by
protecting vital public networks." - Kenneth W. Dam, Chairman

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread