1996-05-27 - Re: MixMaster fair use

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: loki@infonex.com
Message Hash: 76d0549d665cd27b88308a513f718b39e779e193f70ed315b261bd3f1218dd1c
Message ID: <01I56JWNJ2OG8Y4ZV3@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 15:55:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 15:55:25 +0800
To: loki@infonex.com
Subject: Re: MixMaster fair use

From:	IN%"loki@infonex.com" 26-MAY-1996 16:50:16.67

>I think the current license is fine for most purposes. I am not some
>monolithic corporation. If someone needs a license with special terms, my
>email address is public knowledge and I am generally very accommodating.

	You have a point. Speaking of this issue, as I understand it the
RSA patents only apply in the US; their copyrights apply outside the US, but
there are replacement "parts" for their library for outside of the US which
don't run into those copyrights. What happens if I telnet into an account
outside the US and download into that account, from an outside of the US
distribution point, a copy of Mixmaster with the substitute ones, then start
using it for profit (an ecash-accepting-program or whatever)? I assume that I'd
get around ITAR this way - I'm not exporting it, I didn't even bring it into
the US to bring it back out - but can RSA sue me/my company (I'd do it through
a company) for patent infringement?
	-Allen

Thread