1996-05-18 - RE: Why does the state still stand:

Header Data

From: “Jean-Francois Avon” <jf_avon@citenet.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 76f88e12f0cebc67d983e574a610feb78dcf53d3ea8e2548f1d400523873a3ba
Message ID: <9605160159.AA19427@cti02.citenet.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 16:47:51 +0800

Raw message

From: "Jean-Francois Avon" <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 16:47:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Why does the state still stand:

From:          Self <Single-user mode>
To:            Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date:          Wed, 15 May 1996 20:47:38

On 15 May 96 at 21:19, Black Unicorn wrote:

> Well then, AP will simply not work in the large scheme of things. It
> cannot be used to enforce anonymous transactions.  The scope of
> transactions that can be made anonymous is so large so as to make AP
> an incomplete justice system.  Moreover it will simply motivate
> others to use more anonymous transactions, and into the cycle of
> AP's downfall we go.
>
> AP will have "An ever increasing share, of a shrinking market."
>
> This, in itself, may be enough to prevent AP's implementation.

Well, you might have a point.  And I hope so.  The AP scheme finds its
uses mainly against govts or non-anonymous large entities that are
perceived as coercive in nature.  I do not think that it will become
prevalent in the inter-individual interactions.

What I hate about the scheme is that I see it being used for pulling
down peoples that are too good at what they do.  I never pretended
that petty feelings, jalousy and envy does not exists.  I can see at
least half of the business peoples putting a price on another half of
a given field.  I personnally believe that most peoples were thaught
screwed-up ethics and that therefore, they are highly unpredictable.

But I doubt that AP won't get started locally for various reasons and
various uses.

As for Jim Bell's opinion that it might overtake govt, it might be
true.  After all, the initial reason for anonymity, if not for conning
somebody else but to protect oneself from government's point of
view...

An anonymous transaction system would become hunted down by govt
pretty quickly.  They could probably prosecute zip out of anybody but
OTOH, they could very well make life a living hell for many
individuals.  The natural reaction for some of theses individuals
would be to seek/set-up an AP server.  And from that moment, the news
and reward would be known around the world within a short time, even
to peoples not connected to the net.

JFA

 DePompadour, Societe d'Importation Ltee; Limoges porcelain, silverware and crystal
 JFA Technologies, R&D consultants;  physists, technologists and engineers.

 PGP keys at: http://w3.citenet.net/users/jf_avon
 ID# C58ADD0D : 529645E8205A8A5E F87CC86FAEFEF891
 Unsollicited commercial e-mail will be proofread at US165 $/h
 Any sender of such material will be considered as to have ac-
 cepted the above mentionned terms.

Thread