1996-05-14 - Re: Fingerprinting annoyance

Header Data

From: “Paul S. Penrod” <furballs@netcom.com>
To: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
Message Hash: 7f1cea56fcd7191541e7f1b3693ccb7fd0b55f770907d64c866f7cdbe9514f0c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9605132007.A29528-0100000@netcom17>
Reply To: <Pine.SCO.3.91.960513134249.7157D-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-14 11:27:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:27:14 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul S. Penrod" <furballs@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:27:14 +0800
To: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Subject: Re: Fingerprinting annoyance

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Mark O. Aldrich wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Senator Exon wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > i can fill out and manipulate the card myself i just need a
> > working method.
> > is there no privacy advocate who can help me?
> >

> I think most privacy advocates would advise, "Refuse to submit."  It
> sounds like you're looking for more of a hack on the fingerprinting process.

You can refuse, and the service or permit applied for will be witheld.
Not very productive.

> Normally, you're not going to be allowed to manipulate the card yourself.
> You're going to have to be printed by a "tech" (read: trusted by big
> brother) who's going to ensure that those prints are really yours.  Sort
> of like a key certificate.  If you really can dork the card, have ten
> different people volunteer one print each.  There's no way that they'll
> ever be able to use that as evidence in a court or for any other purpose,
> either.
>
> Another fun thing to do is to use prints from dead people.  A
> friend who works in a hospital can help.  Medical students can sometimes
> get access to dead bodies, but many used for teaching purposes (the
> bodies, not the students) already have the skin removed, thus they have no
> prints.  Best to examine those dead digits yourself before sneaking in the
> card and ink.  I also understand that taking prints from a corpse can be
> difficult, so plan on having a friend help or on having some rigging
> equipment to get the appropriate positioning for the body.  Pre-detached
> or detachable limbs would be helpful.
>
> If you're forced to do this in person with a tech, you can continuously
> "fight" the grip they have on your hand and smudge the card.  However,
> they'll not submit the card until the prints are "good," so this sort of
> betrays your intent of at least appearing to cooperate with them.  In the
> law enforcement community, they are taught how to take prints by force
> but it's unlikely that your tech will attempt any such technique.

I know of no such instance (other than some informal "fingerprint the
kiddies for safety" schtick) where it's a do-it--yourself operation.

While the methods listed are clever, they and many other finaglings are
the main reason it's done in the "light of day" by a tech.

> You can mutilate the tips of your fingers so that prints cannot be
> acquired, but this hurts.  Badly.

Doesn't always work. Partials can be extrapolated to yield a relative match.

> You could get some false latex coverings for your finger tips, but they'd
> have to be damn good to fool a tech.  Likely to cost big bucks, too.

Wont work. The hands are checked first for signs of tampering.

> I know of no chemical or physical "pre-treatment" that can be used to
> hack the ink transference process.  Perhaps one of the chemists here on
> the list might know of some good technique.

Pineapple juice and other weak acidic subtances ruin the ridges on the
finger tips causing them to smear or not show at all. Unfortunately, this
takes a period of time and constant handling of such items.

> If you want professional help, I've heard talk of a fingerprint expert in
> California who offers expert testimony in courts, and so forth.  His name
> is Greg Moore.  He is, however, a retired cop.  I do not know how willing
> he'd be to give you expert advice on hacking a fingerprint card, but it's
> worth a try.  He would most likely at least answer some questions about
> the fingerprinting process, depending upon how pleading and helpless you
> can sound.  You can reach him at gmoore@lightlink.satcom.net.  He
> may be willing to help you for free, or perhaps for a fee.

There may be a book or to on the subject. The local library may carry
refernce or other materials on police, detective and forensics. You
can also try Revolution Books in Seattle WA. They deal in the esoteric.

...Paul

Thread