1996-05-23 - Re: The Crisis with Remailers

Header Data

From: “Paul S. Penrod” <furballs@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 84a9832fd30407f5d81376d6c52de0c539063556305d592872ea84dc3ee8b94c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9605221613.A21952-0100000@netcom>
Reply To: <199605222051.NAA20284@netcom21.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-23 06:15:27 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 14:15:27 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul S. Penrod" <furballs@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 14:15:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Crisis with Remailers

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Mike Duvos wrote:

> Perry Writes:
>
> > Floating point systems are built to do approximate math on a very wide
> > range of number sizes. Accounting systems require exact math -- down
> > to the cent. Floats aren't suitable.
>
> Calling floating point math "approximate" is a bit of a misnomer.
> Floating point numbers all correspond to exact points on the real
> number line.  The floating point number taken as the result of an
> operation, if that result is not another floating point number, is
> always chosen consistantly in a way which has minimum error and zero
> bias.

If floating point is implemented properly in *both* hardware and
software, then the claim is valid. I have seen too many instances of
floating point support and/or emulation from people like MS and Borland
that would scare the bejeebers out of most competent programmers

> Floating point numbers can be used to do exact integer arithmetic
> quite easily.  A 48 bit mantissa can represent 14 decimal digit signed
> integers with no loss of precision, and $999,999,999,999.99 is more
> than enough magnitude for most bean counters.

Again, exact integer artimetic derived from floating point is dependant
on how well the floating point "behaves". Mainframes dont suffer the same
fate as some of the uP's do.

> --
>      Mike Duvos         $    PGP 2.6 Public Key available     $
>      mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.        7              $

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there
 is no need to do so, almost everybody gets busy on the proof"

                                            -- John Kenneth Galbraith

"Success is attending a funeral as a spectator"

                                            -- E. BonAnno