1996-05-19 - Re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

Header Data

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 887ae90e367d1b0876ab952c59eca5ea4bb87bc8ba007d072db5be6a61d5f78c
Message ID: <adc3d26f030210048d69@[206.170.115.3]>
Raw Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 09:44:45 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 09:44:45 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re:  SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

They are not very hard to set up and run. I think any blinding is likely to
be simple header faking. Totally insignificant security compared to
something like Mixmaster. I proposed a system some time back based on
message pools, but it attracted little interest. The down side of the
proposal is the large amount of bandwidth required. Each remailer has to
receive all messages for all remailers in the pool. The upside of the
proposal was that it allowed secure reply blocks (ones that can't simply be
tracked forward).

        -Lance

>I would really like to see a remailer that is somehow blinded.
>
>I don't know enough about how mail paths are generatered, but is it
>impossible to conceal the origin of remailer postings?
>
>Postings made to remailernym@alpha.c2.org would be spit out somewhere but
>without accountability?
>
>Impossible?  Would do wonders defeating traffic analysis.
>
>I'd consider running a remailer, but after listening to the response to
>the anonymous poster a while back, it sounds like there are few if any
>simple options which do not require major time and effort to setup and
>run.
>
>---
>My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
>"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
>Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
>00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
>Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche