1996-05-30 - Re: WSJ on “IRS-bashing”

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 897d4015e17630578e37cc4ad2e5e15436aa54694814940e3ef04d0b756daa30
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960529153747.25611J-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <add1cc35180210049ac7@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-30 04:54:48 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:54:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:54:48 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: WSJ on "IRS-bashing"

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> If the CDA is upheld by the Supreme Court, which would surprise me, then
> "free speech" as we know it is gone completely.

I agree. I don't think it will surprise me, though, because it just ain't
gonna happen. :-)

> By the way, it's _already_ the case that "hurtful speech" can be prosecuted
> as a civil rights violation of a class of persons. If I refer to women as
> "bitches and hoes" ("hoe" = "whore," in certain American dialects) I am, as
> I understand things, technically in violation of various laws which outlaw
> the repression, subjugation, marginalization, and encheferation of women
> and other colored people.

Fascinating. Could you provide citations to these laws so that people in
this plane of reality might take a look at them? Over here, any such law
would be invalidated by R.A.V. v. St. Paul. The only exceptions are
restrictions on "fighting words" that meet the tests in Chaplinsky v. New
Hampshire and "hostile working environment" discrimination, which I assume
is what you're talking about, in some elliptical way.

-rich
 In February, John Howard opened a Ku Klux Klan museum and apparel store,
 called The Redneck Shop, in Laurens, S. Car.  Asked by a reporter what
 the reaction was by townspeople, Howard said, "The only people I've had a
 problem with, who took it as an insult and a racial situation, have been
 blacks.  I didn't know blacks here were so prejudiced."  [Louisville
 Courier-Journal-AP, 3-7-96]

Thread