1996-05-07 - Re: [History] USPS tried to monopolize email? (c. 1981)

Header Data

From: “Erik E. Fair” (Time Keeper) <fair@clock.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8e78ff3291fc849d3290b345f7821a64bbe38d7ee506d4d28978ed2582a7fa0e
Message ID: <v02140b00adb3db04638d@[204.179.131.70]>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 09:06:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper) <fair@clock.org>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 09:06:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [History] USPS tried to monopolize email? (c. 1981)

The U.S. Postal Service's first attempt at E-mail was called "E-COM" (ca.
1984), and it amounted to an electronic submission system for mail that
would then be printed, stuffed into envelopes, and delivered in the usual
way - but done so at the regional centers. It was geared toward 3rd class
mass mailings, and was a dismal failure. While it was cheaper than standard
3rd class mailings, the mailings were output on Printronix dot-matrix line
printers, and they looked terrible. Who knows? If they'd invested in laser
printers instead...

Some of you who were on the UUCP/USENET at the time may remember a small
company on the UUCP network in Rockville, MD called "netword", which would
accept E-mail for E-COM and deliver it for free; the deal was that the
input batches to E-COM had to be of a certain size, and the "netword" folks
rounded out their batches with the stuff from the net.

Eventually, E-COM was sold (I seem to recall the Netword people bidding on
it), and it disappeared shortly thereafter. I know about this story because
Netword was a customer of another company which has also since disappeared:
Dual Systems of Berkeley, California, makers of a Motorola 68000-based,
Version 7 (and later System V) UNIX system on the S-100 (IEEE-696) bus. I
worked for Dual from March '83 to June '85 - my first job out of college.

        Erik Fair       fair@clock.org

Thread