1996-05-20 - Re: The Crisis with Remailers

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ee2acd6de6052bcc91ed968d0c9e1794a01897d0f573721ec83a5d6fb9126ff
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960519230556.1793E-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <199605192015.NAA15002@netcom17.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-20 09:28:54 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:28:54 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 17:28:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Crisis with Remailers

On Sun, 19 May 1996, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> not!!! I should have made this clear, but imho no matter how favorably
> the public sees anonymity, I still believe there will be little
> incentive to run remailers until there is some kind of ecash

	Sometimes "Just Because" is enough. There are people running them
right now with no incentive. As long as there isn't a _huge_ disincentive
to run one, there will be several running, if only because there are
people who _want_ to use one, so they run one.

> scheme. you are going to have "bad" uses of anonymity going on as
> long as you provide the capability. ask the remailer operators to
> estimate how much of their mail is simply taunts between college
> students or sexual harassment. I doubt you will ever be able to
> evade this.

	If they know the answer to this question, then they are treading a
dangerous ground.

> by liability I am also referring to a situation in which the
> internet provider is pressured to quit the service by *anyone* not
> necessarily agents of the government. past examples are strong evidence
> that it does not at all require a government to shut down a remailer
> via pressure. anon.penet.fi at one point was pressured to shut down
> by "a well known net celebrity"

	Did penet.fi fold? Apparently not.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>