1996-05-09 - Re: Internet/Obscenity Legal Gathering in NYC

Header Data

From: DrG <manus@manus.org>
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Message Hash: 901825b2a8b0a416bbc7c656b6737550875dcddcf40a23e2d487236bbd36c6e5
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960509060429.13423F-100000@india.lm.com>
Reply To: <aDZmND88w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-09 15:02:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 23:02:15 +0800

Raw message

From: DrG <manus@manus.org>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 23:02:15 +0800
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Subject: Re: Internet/Obscenity Legal Gathering in NYC

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:

> I haven't seen this announcement reposted to this mailing list, and I think
> it's of sufficient interest to warrant reposting:
>
> Newsgroups: misc.legal,alt.censorship,misc.legal.moderated,talk.politics,alt.privacy
> From: ra@panix.com (Ron Abramson)
> Subject: Free program on net censorship in NYC
> Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 17:49:08 GMT
>
> Announcement: Free Program On Net Censorship
> in New York City, May 22 at 7:30 P.M.
>
> THE FIRST AMENDMENT IN CYBERSPACE:  Regulating the On-Line
> Dissemination of "Indecent Material"
>
> This program will address the issue of the First Amendment as
> applied to the Internet and On-line services.  Special focus
> will be given to the new federal law which is intended to
> regulate the dissemination of "Indecent Material" via these
> mediums.

Now just WHY do these assholes wast everybodies time talking about something
that everybody KNOWS is unconstitutional?

These fucking lawyers just pull the stunts so they can go and have lunch
in a tax-deductable manner, and meet the requirements for some CLE hours
that is mandated by the State. This whole affair will be a sham as usual.

> The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
> 42 W 44TH Street, New York, New York (Bet. 5th and 6th Avenues)
> (212) 382-6600

This New York Bar has the WORST reputation of any local
association that I know.  Last year they discussed the
legalization of crack and other hard drugs in a "drug-law
revamping" seminar, and Mayor Guliani almost SHIT!

> Wednesday, May 22, 1996, 7:30 till 9 P.M.
>
> Moderator:
> CHARLES R. NESSON
> Weld Professor of Law, Harvard law School
>
> Panelists:
> ROBERT FLORES
> Senior Trial Attorney, Child Exploitation and Obscenity
> Section, U.S. Department of Justice

See, the "kid-porn" is the whole fucking issue here, and they
are going to go trying to regulate text because if this concern.

> MICHAEL GODWIN
> General Counsel, Electronic Frontier Foundation

That guy is an asshole. The whole EFF is a joke!

> STEPHEN M. HEATON
> General Counsel, Compuserve, Inc.

Censorous bastard.

> NORMAN REDLICH
> Wachtell, Lipton Rosen & Katz, former Dean,
> New York University School of Law
>
> BRUCE TAYLOR
> President and Chief Counsel, National Center for
> Children and Families

See, this porn issue is diluting everything.

> Co-sponsored by:
> Committee on Computer Law, Joseph P. Zammit, Chair
> Committee on Lectures and Continuing Education,
>   Normal L. Green, Chair

Yes, to get "continuing legal education" credits for
just BULLSHITTING about something these lawyers are all
incompetent at.

> Members of the Association, their guests and all other
> interested persons are invited to attend.
>
> No fees or reservations are required.
>

> ---
>
> Dr. Dimitri Vulis
> Brighton Beach Boardwalk BBS, Forest Hills, N.Y.: +1-718-261-2013, 14.4Kbps

Go to this meeting and ask these fucking dumb lawyers how the fuck they
expect to enforce a law against US citizens that they cannot enforce against
Canadian or Mexican citizens.  The whole fucking concept of trying to
regulate cyberspace by the laws of any one country is ABSURD!

Then ask them if any of them know who tale or speedbump is.
If they do not know that, they have no reason even talking
about cyberspace.

-DrG

Thread