1996-05-21 - NIST Draft Key Escrow Paper

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 971bfdc75e6230d99d0d7babdab353b7db31598fd99d512d9bebcc51644ee38b
Message ID: <199605211425.OAA22632@pipe5.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 03:32:34 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 03:32:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NIST Draft Key Escrow Paper

   [Forward]

   From: Elaine Frye <elaine.frye@nist.gov>
   Subject: draft key escrow paper

   May 20, 1996

   Note

   To:  Key Escrow Distribution List

   From:  Ed Roback, NIST

   Subject:  Release of DRAFT Key Escrow Paper

   FYI, today the Interagency Working Group (IWG) on
   Cryptography Policy released a DRAFT paper entitled
   "Enabling Privacy, Commerce, Security and Public Safety in
   the Global Information Infrastructure."

   The DRAFT paper discusses a voluntary draft key management
   infrastructure, supported by private sector key management
   organizations, that would permit users and manufacturers
   free choice of encryption algorithms, facilitate
   international interoperability, preserve law enforcement
   access, and, most importantly, provide strong system
   security and integrity.  FYI, the paper was released by the
   IWG co-chairs Ed Appel (NSC) and Bruce McConnell (OMB).

   Comments on the draft paper are being solicited.  No
   deadline is specified.

   At present, I do not have an electronic copy of the draft
   (25 pp).  Copies are available through the OMB publications
   office at 202-395-7332.  I anticipate that the document
   will soon be available widely on the net and will forward
   you a web address when available.

   Elaine Frye
   Computer Security Division
   Bldg. 820, M.S. Room 426
   Gaithersburg, MD  20899-0001
   Voice:   301/975-2819    Fax:  301/948-1233