1996-05-01 - Re: Freedom and security

Header Data

From: angels@wavenet.com (CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher)
To: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Message Hash: 9beedd651fd2f6416ea405f6285b85fb7246bd8489eb58abb2991749afbf3cdd
Message ID: <v01510100a9e5fbebce39@[198.147.118.199]>
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:54:17 +0800

Raw message

From: angels@wavenet.com (CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:54:17 +0800
To: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: Freedom and security

Mike McNally wrote

>If.... (freedom and security) ....weren't antithetical, there'd be no need
>for a balance.

If they were antithetical then as freedom increased security would
decrease, and as security increased freedom would decrease.

It is not IMHO inevitable that if we increase security we will jeopardize
freedom.  My concern is that if we ignore security we will have no freedom
left to protect.

I don't believe the Internet community is split into two camps on this
issue - there appear to me to be many places where people draw their lines
at different points.  I don't believe that security is the enemy of
freedom.  I believe that freedom needs security in order to exist at all.

Colin Gabriel Hatcher - CyberAngels Director
angels@wavenet.com

"Two people may disagree, but
that does not mean that one of them is evil"