1996-05-22 - Re: An alternative to remailer shutdowns (fwd)

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 9d9721038723b963f6b6a1d333ebe5d10f42bad7f699dfef00da98ff5c94cdf6
Message ID: <01I4ZLWBOJD08Y5IL9@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 18:46:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 18:46:22 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re:  An alternative to remailer shutdowns (fwd)

From:	IN%"tcmay@got.net" 21-MAY-1996 05:18:04.13

>This is one reason we often talk about the dangers of remailers looking at
>what flows through their systems. Not so much to establish "common carrier"
>status, especially as that kind of status is just not something one sets
>out to establish!, but because the protection of being ignorant gets tossed
>out as soon as one admits to screening, or editing.

	Exactly how little can a remailer log and still keep adequate
functionality? I may be setting up one or two Mixmaster-type
to-other-remailers-only remailers sometime this summer (with one at Lance
Cottrell's company so I can get his help easier...), so it is a practical
question.... and one the answer to which may depend on whether one is
remailing to another remailer, or to a public setting, or to an email
address, or from an email address, etcetera.
	-Allen

Thread