1996-05-31 - Group-oriented Key Management (GKMP) protocol

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9e808bb4a8283f2250e210b0e7c5247985525d62db4f981a808da80014e921ba
Message ID: <199605302159.OAA25583@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 13:21:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 13:21:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Group-oriented Key Management (GKMP) protocol

There's an interesting proposal for a study at ORNL about
key management for multicast applications.  Unfortunately,
the ietf drafts on the protocol itself have expired :-),
but there are a couple of Postscript papers pointed to by
Tom Dunigan's really extensive reference list
        http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~dunigan/security.html

The ORNL proposal is at http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~sgb/mvpnet.html

ABSTRACT
This proposal focuses on providing security in a multicast-based network
such as the mbone. The proposed solution is application-based and works
with all IP-multicast based routing protocols. It utilizes the group-oriented
key management (GKMP) protocol which provides greater scaleability by removing
the need for a separate key distribution center. Secondly, we look at ways
of securing IP multicast from denial of service attacks.
The first step in implementing a secure multicast capability is the ability
to provide group access control and a scaleable efficient key distribution
meshanism.
We propose implementing the Group-oriented Key Management (GKMP) protocol as the
core of our group access scheme. GKMP currently only exists as a beta version
at SPARTA. GKMP has become an experimental RFC and the code will be made
publicly
available by SPARTA.

#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215
# goodtimes signature virus innoculation

Thread