1996-05-11 - Free demo disk of “distorted number” crypto

Header Data

From: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
Message Hash: a4b82fafc0f645257da66b4f7fa8bb1ee7a8b051e91812e27b7308230185e1b9
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.91.960510143928.21944A-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 11:34:42 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 11:34:42 +0800
Subject: Free demo disk of "distorted number" crypto

C'punks:

I got a call from a group in Maryland called "Marketing Technologies,
Inc."  They are starting to distribute free demo copies of a new crypto
technology created by "Blackstar, Inc."  The crypto product, called
"Supercrypt," is based upon "distorted number generation."  This does not
appear to be the product sold under the same name by Computer Elektronik
Infosys.  Naturally, I enquired as to where the algorithms had been
published in the technical literature, but the sales rep indicated that,
while copyrighted, Blackstar does not yet hold a patent so they are
concerned about releasing the details.  She described the product as using
a "proprietary" algorithm.

If you'd like to get a demo copy of the software, call Marketing
Technologies at 301.588.1971.  You'll probably be speaking with Linda
Greenwald, who's got _some_ information available, but not anything that's
technical.  They are also offering a technical write-up via fax-back at
301.588.2162.

Note that I'm not endorsing this product, I'm just relaying information
that may be of interest.  If anything, you can get a copy of a new toy to
muck with in your spare(?) time.  No, they are not yet on the Internet.

I'll relay my experiences with the product after I get it.

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |maldrich@grci.com            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |